The WEPs were established in 2010 by UN Women and the UN Global Compact. They represent the first worldwide initiative to target the topic of promoting and strengthening the role of women in companies.
The following seven principles aim to offer guidance to companies in promoting gender equality:
- Establishing an equality-friendly corporate leadership culture
- Treating all women and men fairly at work – adhering to international human rights and non-discrimination
- Guaranteeing the health, well-being and safety of all employees
- Promoting the education, training and development of women
- Promoting entrepreneurship among women, strengthening women’s participation in the procurement market, respecting the dignity of women in all marketing measures
- Promoting gender equality through community initiatives and advocacy
- Measuring and reporting all progress in the area of gender equality
The principles have been derived from business practice and are aimed at supporting companies in adapting existing regulations and programmes for the promotion of women or in introducing such new and necessary regulations and programmes.